Friday, April 17, 2009

Kingdom

For those not already aware, ReVision Theater's staging of the musical "Kingdom" is being performed this weekend through May 3 at the VFW Theatre, 701 Lake Avenue, Asbury Park. Performances began last night and I have yet to hear the reviews, but there has been much anticipation regarding this event, not the least because of its gang-related storyline.

But "Kingdom" is also among the latest in the wave of hip-hop inspired musicals, and from the little snatches I've been able to hear, composer Ian Williams seems to find an honest voice that fits with the setting and the story.

As a rule, I don't like musicals, it's true. And I have my doubts about ReVision Theater mounting a musical production about African American and Latino gangs and staging it in Asbury Park, where such gang activity is prevalent--it sounds like a recipe for a reality-vs.-good-intentions disaster. But make no mistake: I would love for this musical to succeed and I've heard positive things from people I trust who have been to the rehearsals. They say director Carlos Armesto has done great things with it. The musical itself was voted "Most Promising Musical" when it debuted in New York in 2006.

So if you can go, do it and tell me what you find.

Showtimes are Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays at 8 p.m. and Sundays at 7 p.m.

--C.

1 comment: